June 8, 2016
Bureau of Industrial and Labor Affairs
Committee for Short Shorts Film Festival Asia
Short Shorts Film Festival & Asia 2016
One of Asia’s largest international film festivals, the Academy Awards® accredited Short Shorts Film Festival & Asia (SSFF & Asia), which features excellent short films selected from around the world, will be held again this June!
The Tokyo Metropolitan Government has been a cosponsor of two competitions since 2004, awarding the Governor of Tokyo Award to the Asian International Competition and Japan Competition winning films.
Starting this year, the new SHORT FILM & TOKYO Project will be held in conjunction with the film festival to promote the Tokyo Brand in Japan and abroad.
Main features of Short Shorts Film Festival & Asia 2016
Free admission to screenings of 200 carefully selected films!
The festival will screen some 200 films, chosen from nearly 6,000 entries from over 100 countries and regions around the world, all for free!
First showing in Japan. “7 Letters” is an anthology of seven short films by seven leading Singaporean filmmakers.
First official theme song for the festival
“World is Yours” by PKCZ(R), featuring Crystal Kay and MIGHTY CROWN (MASTA SIMON & SAMI-T) has been selected as the festival’s first official theme song!
For more information, please see the festival’s official website
SHORT FILM & TOKYO Project
With the aim to become the world’s leading tourist destination, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government is implementing a campaign to promote the Tokyo Brand that uses the &TOKYO logo and catchline. SHORT FILM & TOKYO has teamed up with SSFF & Asia to be a part of the following projects to promote the attractions and value of Tokyo to the world.
Cinematic Tokyo Competition
- To establish a new Tokyo Brand themed competition category
- Following consideration of entry rules and other criteria, a call for entries will be made in August. Prizes to be awarded at next year’s festival.
Tokyo Cinema Ensemble
- A film collage of various images representative of the Tokyo Brand
- To be produced by young directors from abroad invited by the film festival
- After being screened at this year’s award ceremony, to be promoted in Japan and abroad
- Create a short film that will serve as an example and be useful in the promotion of the Cinematic Tokyo Competition
- After being screened at next year’s festival, to be promoted in Japan and abroad.
General Screenings (Free admission)
|Friday, June 3 – Sunday, June 5||Omotesando Hills Space O|
|Monday, June 6 – Friday, June 10||Andaz Tokyo Andaz Studio|
|Thursday, June 9 – Sunday, June 12||LAFORET MUSEUM HARAJUKU|
|Thursday, June 16 – Sunday, June 19||SHIDAX Culture Hall|
|Thursday, June 23 – Sunday, June 26||SHIDAX Culture Hall|
|Thursday, June 23 – Sunday, June 26||iTSCOM STUDIO & HALL
Futako Tamagawa Rise
|Friday, June 3 – Sunday, June 26*
|Brillia Short Shorts Theater|
*1.The award ceremony will be held on Monday, June 13.
*2.Please see the festival website for details, including schedules and programs.
Applying for Tickets
- Applying in advance
- Applications to view films are being accepted in the order received on the website.
- Applying on the day of the screening
- Numbers will be passed out to those wishing to apply for tickets on a first come, first served basis starting 20 minutes prior to the first screening of the film. Please understand that you may not be able to view the film in the event the venue is filled to capacity. Therefore, applying for tickets in advance is recommended.
Events That Require an Admission Fee
During the general screening period, some events that require an admission fee will be held. Please see the website for details.
About Short Shorts Film Festival & Asia (SSFF & Asia)
In 1999, a film festival in which actor Tetsuya Bessho introduced Hollywood short films to the Japanese audience was established as the Short Shorts Film Festival.
In 2004, the festival was officially accredited by the United States Academy Awards®. Through this accreditation, the Grand Prix winner is eligible to be nominated for an Academy Award.
The same year, the Short Shorts Film Festival Asia, cosponsored by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, was established as a showcase for Asian film culture based in Tokyo.
From 2006 onward, the two festivals have been held at the same time as the Short Shorts Film Festival & Asia.
Regarding the SHORT FILM & TOKYO Project
Promotion Section, Tourism Division, Bureau of Industrial and Labor Affairs,
Tokyo Metropolitan Government
S0000701@section.metro.tokyo.jp (Inquiries welcome in Japanese and English)
Regarding the entire film festival
Committee for Short Shorts Film Festival Asia
Phone:+81-3-5474-8844 (Inquiries welcome in Japanese and English)